Sunday, March 9, 2014

Living Life: The Way of the Dunedain

 
People often remark that life is short. Be happy, stay focused. What these people will oft also reflect is that to do some things, they also had leave out some others which they had absolutely loved. For instance, giving up on some hobby like reading, travelling, playing a musical instrument, learning a new language. They often lament that how despite achieving a significant amount of success in terms of money, fame and even love. They had to give up on some things. Why?

There wasn’t enough time.

Last night I had an epiphany. I wished I were a Dunedain. Why?
Because they were tall, with dark hair, pale skin and grey eyes and benefited from longer life-spans (three times the life of a regular man) than ordinary men and could retain their youth until the very end of their days.


Fuck!


Thrice the lifespan and young till the very end! That is not just amazing, that is THE
DREAM!


In case, you still don't get the reference. The Dunedain- the Men of the West, were an ancient race in the Middle Earth who descended from the Numenoreans. All hail Tolkien! I love Lord of the Rings.



Currently, I
  • Have books on my reading list, which if I were to read one book a day, may take me around 3 years to finish. And that is just reading them, thinking and talking about them will take an entire lifetime (a normal man’s lifetime, not the royally descended one as that of a Dunedain).
  • I have enough music on my playlist that if I were to listen continuously to it 24x7, the playlist runs into years. With so many artist and their music still not discovered, imagine.
  • Want to learn Spanish, and maybe French.
  • Have projects/ideas which need time to implement and all my focus and energy.
  • Maybe want to learn to play the piano or violin.
I want to do it all. I abso-fucking-lutely want to do it all. On top of this, I also want to enjoy doing it all. Sharing it with my friends, family and all the people I love.

Why we are as people limited by just one lifetime’s worth? We can only read as much, listen as much, and share as much.

Why?

The prospect of me thinking about all these things makes me excitingly happy and sad at the same time. Happy because these are the things I love. Sad, for obvious reasons and time being the limiting factor that I would have to give up most of these things.

My one and only wish is that whatever happens- whether I get to do it all or not. I just don’t want to have regrets. They say when you are on your deathbed, your life flashes in front of your eyes, I don’t believe it.

But, just in case.

If it happens, I want a brightly coloured neon sign which says, “NO REGRETS”.














No comments:

Post a Comment